Schedule An Appointment



My Child is Refusing Visitation with the Other Parent. What Should I Do?

Posted in Divorce, Family Law, Visitation on Tuesday, April 25th, 2023

Divorce can be a difficult time for everyone involved, especially for children. It’s not uncommon for children to feel confused or conflicted about spending time with both parents after a divorce. However, if your child refuses to visit the other parent, it can create even more stress and strain on the family. As a parent, it’s essential to address this issue and find a solution that works for everyone.

The following blog explores potential reasons why your child might be refusing visitation and offer suggestions to navigating this complex issue. 

Understand more about the why behind your child’s hesitation.

First and foremost, it’s essential to understand why your child refuses to visit the other parent. There could be various reasons, such as fear, anxiety, or a desire to stay with one parent. It’s essential to listen to and take your child’s concerns seriously. Ignoring their feelings or forcing them to comply with visitation can further damage their relationship with the other parent and create resentment.

In some cases, there may be valid reasons why your child refuses visitation, such as abuse or neglect by the other parent. In these cases, it’s essential to prioritize your child’s safety and seek legal help from a family law attorney if necessary. However, if there are no safety concerns, working with your child or children and the other parent is essential to find a solution.

Open the lines of communication between you and your ex.

One approach is to talk to your child and the other parent to understand the reasons for the refusal and find a compromise. For example, if your child is anxious about spending the night at the other parent’s house, you could suggest shorter visits or a visit to a neutral location, such as a park or restaurant. The key is to find a solution that works for everyone and respects your child’s feelings.

Speak to a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist

Communication with the other parent is complex, or there are other barriers to resolving the issue. In that case, consider seeking the help of a mediator or family therapist. A trained professional can help facilitate communication and find a solution for everyone involved. They can also guide handling difficult situations and improve communication between you, your child, and the other parent.

It’s important to remember that your child’s well-being should always be the top priority. While visitation with the other parent is essential, forcing your child to comply or ignoring their feelings can cause more harm than good. By listening to your child, seeking help if necessary, and finding a compromise that works for everyone, you can help ease the stress and strain of visitation and support your child’s emotional well-being.

Contact us today if you have custody or parenting time concerns.

Child custody disputes are difficult and complex processes that can impact your relationship with your child. If you or someone you care about is facing a child custody dispute, Sabuco Beck, P.C. is here to help. Our experienced family law attorneys boast the expertise to provide the highest legal representation in sensitive family court matters. 

We prioritize protecting our client’s rights as parents while vigorously defending their needs and interests. Don’t face your child custody battle alone — contact us today for expert legal guidance when navigating these difficult proceedings.

client reviews

See the difference family makes at Sabuco Beck, P.C.

Attorney Profiles

Guiding You Towards A Brighter Future. Learn More About Our Attorneys Below

Contact Us Today

Fill in the form below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Joliet Office

950 Essington Road Suite B
Joliet, IL 60435

Phone : (815) 730-8860

Fax : (815) 730-8865

Minooka Office

500 Bob Blair Road
Minooka, IL 60447

Phone : (815) 467-0270

Fax : (815) 467-0271